Home made Ice Cream
I love home made ice cream. This is my recipe - but be warned, after making and eating this a few times, you will find it near impossible to go back to regular store bought ice cream!
To make about 1kg of ice cream (a little over 1 litre), you will need:
- half a punnet of strawberries (or about 125 g berries or 1 mango or a ripe banana or 3-6 passionfruit or feijoa)
- 300 ml pure cream
- 600 ml fresh milk
- 1 cup sugar
- Place fruit, sugar and half the milk into a mixing bowl.
- Use a stick blender to puree the fruit. (Note this is not necessary for passionfruit.)
- Tip the fruit/sugar/milk puree into a flattish 2 litre container that can go onto the floor of your freezer. Items touching the surface of the freezer get cold faster. Rinse out the mixing bowl with the remainder of the milk and tip it into your ice cream mix.
- Stir in the cream.
- Place the ice cream mix into the freezer.
- About 1 hour later, take the mix out, stir well to mix in the icy edge parts.
- Return ice cream mix to the freezer and repeat the above step three or four times. As the mix becomes closer to frozen, the more you stir it the creamier and finer textured the finished result becomes.
Most ice cream tastes better if allowed to cure for about 24 hours, but that rarely happens in our house!
A plate of mango ice cream!